Don’t wait for the perfect moment. Take a moment and make it perfect for you.
A while ago I was at a functional medicine conference in Northern California. One of the lectures was about toxins. We all know that we are living in a toxic world, don’t we? Toxins seem to bombard us from everywhere: Food, air, water, cleaning & cosmetic products, the omnipresent plastic, and there’s of course more to explore. There are approx. 80,000 known toxins, 2,300 newones are added every year. Many toxins are not even known yet.
There’s also psychological toxins in the form of stress, emotional trauma, negative thoughts, abusive relationships. If you are overwhelmed, don’t worry. Most of us are! Our world has become more and more complex on so many levels. We need to take little steps, one day at a time, to reduce our toxic load as much as we can. Everything you do towards better health and overall wellbeing counts.
- Go for a 30 minute walk in nature and let yourself be touched by its beauty. Be present and open your eyes! Never underestimate the healing power of nature.
- Use infrared saunas or steam rooms after exercising to increase circulation and to assist the elimination process through the skin.
- Do yoga! 30 – 60 minutes of yoga have some serious positive effects on your over-all wellbeing. My new favorite yoga is TheClass by Taryn Toomey For me TheClass is like aerobics with a beautiful spiritual twist. You sweat, you get energies moving, and you are inspired! The cool thing is that they stream classes live from New York City so you can easily do them at home.
A couple of sun salutations followed by a shoulder stand which stimulates the thyroid gland (regulates metabolism) or at least a few simple stretches are another option.
- Breath! Take deep conscious breaths 3 times a day to the following ratio:
Inhale for a count of 4, hold for 4, exhale for 4 (using your diaphragm so your stomach sticks out as you inhale), hold for 4 counts, repeat till you feel your body’s energy shifting . As you exhale visualize the exhale to be detoxifying, ridding your body of unwanted burdens.
- Before you hop in the shower do 5 minutes of dry skin brushing for your whole body. Use small strokes from your feet up. This increases circulation and helps break down fatty deposits. Use a soft bristled skin brush. End your shower with cold water. Start with 30 seconds and increase to up to 3 – 5 minutes. Even if challenging at first you gonna love it at the end.
- Get a massage: Any type is good to get the blood flowing. Lymph drainage is, however, ideal during a detox.
- Take a steamy bath and exfoliate your body with a loafer and a natural peel. It’s also really great to add 1 cup of epsom salt, 1/4 cup of baking soda, and your favorite essential oil to your bathwater .
- Begin the day with 5 minutes of meditation. Sit quietly and focus on your breathing. Visualize your body detoxifying itself: With every breath in, visualize healthy oxygen entering your lungs and bloodstream and with every breath out visualize toxins leaving your body. If you want some guidance with your mediation try Insight Timer.
- Develop a mindfulness practice. Mindfulness is a mental state that you achieve by focusing on the present moment, while calmly acknowledging and accepting your feelings, thoughts, and bodily sensations. Be with what is without changing anything.
- Avoid coffee, black teas, alcohol, smoking and sweets. Sip on green teas and lemon juice instead to support your liver’s hard work. This is especially important when you are doing a detoxification program.
- Eliminate your consumption of meat and dairy for the cleanse period and reduce consumption afterwards.
- Drink at least 2 liters of water each day to help flush the system. You don’t want to drink water with meals to avoid the dilution of your digestive enzymes. These guys are among others responsible for the break-down and assimilation of nutrients. Drink water 30 minutes before eating and then allow an hour or more afterwards before drinking again.
- Use all-natural, preferably organic body cares products including natural toothpaste, body lotion and deodorant (no sodium laurel sulfate, no aluminum and no fluoride).
- Get rid of toxins in your house & use natural household products.
I have started this process many years ago. It’s still a work in progress but the way I feel, my energy level, the look of my skin, and my overall well-being have significantly improved every since I embarked on this journey.
Why not start today with making yourself and your health a priority!